Chilluévar

Add to the travel log
Chilluévar

Chilluévar is a town half-way between the mountain and the open countryside. It is one of the historical settlements in this region, a small agricultural town given over to growing olives and garden produce on the banks of the Cerezuelo and Cañamares rivers and in the lowlands.


After the Christian conquest in 1231, the settlers found the old Arab village of Alcoray here, within an allocation of land that was eventually administered by the Archbishop of Toledo. The territory was known as an adelantamiento or settlement. Alcoray was probably an Iberian settlement originally, a witness of the clashes between the Romans and Carthaginians. The name Alcoray – alcor – makes reference to a low hill that can serve as a lookout point to control a territory; in this case, from the mountains all the way to the valley of the Guadalquivir river.

For centuries the village served as a checkpoint on the Mesta’s livestock routes as the shepherds migrated with their sheep from eastern Spain, the upper regions of Andalusia and the Guadalquivir valley to the Meseta plateau. For centuries the Mesta routes were the equivalent of today’s motorways. They frequently followed the layout of the old Roman roads. They were wide bridle paths that linked the main production centres with the markets of that period. Like the rest areas on modern motorways, these public paths had fountains at regular intervals where livestock could rest, as well as facilities for merchants and travellers. The Alcoray-Chilluevar route was one of these paths.

The tower of the parish church of Nuestra Señora de la Paz, commissioned by the Archbishop of Toledo in 1787, stands out in the town’s silhouette, along with a brick smokestack known as El Duende, a part of the ruins of an old olive oil mill.

Chilluévar became independent of the town of La Iruela in 1926, an event that is commemorated in a viewpoint in the top part of town.



RSS Feeds

Plan your trip, explore the website and add your content to the Log.